Margaret Mary was born in Burgundy in France. As a child, she was a happy little girl who loved the nuns at school. But when she was eleven, she became very sick. It was four years before she was well again after she saw a vision of the Virgin Mary. Her father had died, and an aunt had moved into their home. This aunt and her husband made Margaret Mary and her mother suffer very much. Almost every day, Margaret would hide in the garden to cry and pray. What hurt her most was seeing her mother get hurt.
Her mother wanted her to marry and so did her relatives. They were worried about her, especially when she brought beggar children into the garden to try to teach them. Margaret Mary hesitated a while, neither marrying nor entering the convent. At last she decided on the convent and joined the Visitation sisters. She was kind and humble but often made others impatient since she was slow and clumsy.
But she was dear to Jesus. Jesus appeared to St. Margaret Mary and showed her his sacred heart. His heart was encircled by a crown of thorns that was a symbol of his great sacrifice. Jesus told her how much he loves each one of us and wanted her to spread devotion to his Sacred Heart. It was a very hard thing to do as not many people believed she had really seen Jesus. Some were angry with her for trying to spread the new devotion. This brought her lots of suffering. Yet she did her best to carry out the Lord's wish. Jesus blessed her hard work and pain. Today, this wonderful devotion to the Sacred Heart is practiced all over the world.
Our Lord made twelve great promises to St. Margaret Mary for those who are devoted to his most Sacred Heart. They are:
- I will give them all the graces they need in life.
- I will create peace in their families.
- I will comfort them in all their troubles.
- They shall surely find in My Heart protection during life and especially at the hour of their death.
- I will shower them with blessings in everything that they do.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source of an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Weak souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.
- I will bless the homes where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who spread this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be erased.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of nine continuous months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under my displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments; My heart shall surely be their protection at that last hour.
This month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is almost over. We learned about litanies a few weeks ago and here is one you can pray featuring this special devotion:
It is finally summer! Here is a prayer you can pray each day of this special season:
- One thing that makes it difficult for me to follow Jesus is …
- The one person I most admire as a follower of Jesus is … because …
- I know how James and John felt about wanting to call fire down on someone. I’ve felt that way myself, but Jesus guided me from those feelings, too, by …